Friday, July 25, 2008

Blowing though the Jasmine of my Mind


This has nothing to do with anything, but I'm listening to a reggae remix of the song "Summer Breeze" and thinking what a perfect summer song it is and trying to come up with other perfect summer songs.

Here's my list of summer songs...at least the first 20 I can think of. Some are obvious, some maybe more personal. Most are pretty old school. And of course there are summer-themed songs not on this list because I simply don't like them (I despise "Summertime Blues").

What songs would you add to this list?


"Summer Breeze" by Seals and Croft

"Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles (but this is also an autumnal song to me, for some reason)

"I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash

"Dancing in the Moonlight" by King Harvest

"Summer in the City" by Lovin' Spoonful

"The Summer" by Yo La Tengo

"Summer Teeth" by Wilco

"Crimson and Clover" by Tommy James and those Shondells

"Hot Fun in the Summertime" by Sly and the Family Stone

"Stir it Up" by Bob Marley

"Raspberry Beret" by Prince

"Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys

"A Summer Wasting" by Belle & Sebastian

"July! July!" by The Decemberists

"In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry

Pretty much anything Motown

"BBQ USA" by Mojo Nixon

"Sweet City Woman" by...that guy and his banjo

And the song that represents the summer of 2008 for me? "Mercy" by Duffy






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mojo Nixon?! There is a name I haven't herad in awhile.

Did you know "Summer Breeze" was also covered by Type O Negative? They do a good job with it in my opinion.

Summer songs, eh? I'll keep it short...
"Sing Winds, Crying Beasts" by Santana.
"Summer Nights" by Van Halen.
"Children of the Sun" by Billy Thorpe.
"Sweet Thing" and "Virgo Clown" by Van Morrison.
"High Roller" by The Crystal Method.
"Everybody Wants To Tule the World" by Tears for Fears.
and
"Running Down a Dream" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Michelloui said...

Bryan Adams is always very summertime for me, because I listened to a tape of his non stop on a driving holiday I had with my parents from northern minnesota to colorado and back the summer i was 16. (album name? no idea, it had 'run to you' and 'summer of 69' on it).

Saying that, I have just made three compilation CDs for our road trip time in MN next week and there is no bryan adams on any of them!

you own a cement mime and you keep it in your trunk?? is this some crazy sort of revenge on clowns?

TeTop said...

Yes, we own a cement mime and keep it in our trunk. You gotta problem with that??? :)

Bryan Adams is definitely summer. There are so many '80s summer songs for me...probably because summer seemed to last so much longer when I was young, and there were parties and friends and so many more opportunities for a "summer soundtrack" to exist. Now summer seems over in two weeks and I pretty much just work. Oddly...now that I'm older there are "summer books" that hold those fond memories.